Prairie Horizon Fresh Market stays open as vendors team up and launch Buy Local Campaign
March 20, 2020, Balzac, AB. – As malls and stores across Canada temporarily close, a provider of locally produced foods is staying open to launch a new online Direct Delivery service. Prairie Horizon Fresh Market is a collection of fresh market vendors and small businesses who provide locally produced fresh food and have teamed up to launch an online ordering and delivery service.
Prairie Horizon was beginning its soft opening and had moved into its permanent space at New Horizon Mall when the Government of Alberta declared a State of Emergency in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. As closures were announced vendors realized they needed to team up to get their food available online right away and provide delivery.
“Now more than ever it is good to buy local from producers who need your business. The COVID-19 outbreak is causing major disruption in retail and the food supply chain and people need to know there are options,” says Ken Aylesworth, general manager, Prairie Horizon Fresh Market. “We are kicking off an awareness campaign to let people know that we have fresh produce, dairy products, beef and chicken and many other food items available online with delivery.”
Photo caption:(r-l) Ken Aylesworth, Prairie Horizon Fresh Market, the Murray Family, owners of Just Ripe: Brad and Alison Murray, Aiden Murray, Lauren Anda, and Laszlo Anda at New Horizon Mall.
Photo credit: Jason Henderson
The following merchants are offering online delivery right now with more to follow:
- Just Ripe: All produce currently in season – cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplants, lettuce, peppers
- Moo Cow / Dutchman Dairy: Dairy products – milk, cheese, butter, ice cream
- RFG Meats and Seafood: Locally raised beef, chicken, and fresh frozen Canadian sourced sea food
- Clean Pantry: Pantry Staples – Keto, Paleo, Whole30, Diabetic, Sugar-free, Low Carb, Gluten Free, Allergen Free, Vegan
Coming soon: Ukrainian Fine Foods: Frozen pierogies, sausage, cabbage rolls
Local food will be available online starting on Saturday, March 21 at 9 a.m. here: http://www.prairiehorizonfreshmarket.com/directdelivery
Minimum orders of $75 will be charged a 50/50 delivery fee of ten dollars with half going to the driver and half going to the Calgary and Airdrie Food Banks. Orders over $150 pay no delivery.
Prairie Horizon Fresh Market vendors worked together to launch the service as one provided access to its Shopify account to get products online quickly, another has provided a refrigerated van for delivery and all are setting up to take orders as the online delivery service starts this Saturday.
The Fresh Market will be open 9 am to 5 pm this Saturday and Sunday. Starting at 9 am there will be Seniors Only shopping for an hour until 10 am. Vendors are taking appointments so customers can learn where the food comes from and keep numbers down. Farm to table food provision limits public contact with supply.
Prairie Horizon Fresh Market is following guidelines that took effect on March 17 in accordance with the Alberta Government’s State of Emergency Declaration that state:
- Mass gatherings are now limited to no more than 50 attendees. Includes conferences, worship gatherings, weddings & funerals, etc. but does not include grocery stores, shopping centres, health care facilities, airports, and other essential services. (Source)
The Market has responded to the COVID-19 outbreak by being extra pro-active in delivering fresh local farm food direct to its customers with a high service standard. The safety and wellness of its customers, vendors and all the market employees is being monitored daily and it has introduced the following precautions:
– suspending all product sampling by vendors to the public.
– increasing and enhancing cleaning and sanitation practices in high touch point locations like table tops, chairs, door handles, etc.
– suspending the use of all reusable cups and containers.
– monitoring foot traffic and maintaining a maximum head count of 50 people including vendors and staff within the market space.
Aylesworth continues, “Our community of local produced food vendors is being challenged as many small businesses are being challenged across the country. By joining forces and teaming up we have created a simple, effective way to make our food available online and have it delivered.”
As part of the awareness campaign, customers are being asked to post about the service on social media, a radio campaign is being launched and the market vendors will be using Facebook Live Videos to promote and encourage online orders. New product and food bundles will eventually be available as the service expands.
#ShopLocalYYC #SupportYourCommunity #BeKind #TogetherWeAreStronger #TogetherAtHome #FlattenTheCurve #PrairieFreshYYC #FarmDirect
For more information on Prairie Horizon Fresh Market visit www.prairiehorizonfreshmarket.com
For New Horizon Mall’s Media Kit (background, fact sheet, images): https://dhzmedia.com/client/new-horizon-mall/
403 880 5410
403 921 2001